Playing with Fire on April Fools’
Playing with Campfire marshmallows, that is. Although we will also play with real fire too.
I received a HUGE box full of delightful marshmallows yesterday (thanks to Doumak, Inc.), so I figured I could use them somehow for April Fools’ Day. If you haven’t already thought of a prank or two, pick up a few bags of marshmallows at the grocery store and note the following:
1. Remove your roommate’s pillows from their cases, and fill the cases with bags of marshmallows. Place the real pillows in the freezer.
**It’s fun to stick stuff in the freezer…. and it pisses people off. Try it.
2. Play Vanessa Carlton’s “A Thousand Miles” over and over (in the office) until all of your co-workers are annoyed. Then offer them ear plugs, but give them each matching pairs of mini fruit flavored marshmallows.
3. Microwave 4-5 marshmallows in a clear glass for 15 seconds. Allow it to cool. Then walk towards a friend/co-worker and pretend to trip and fall. Make sure to point the glass of milk towards him/her!
4. Offer to make dinner for your friends and/or family. Tell them you will make seared scallops with Beluga caviar in a brown butter sauce. Here is how you will do it:
• Cut off the tops of 3 regular white marshmallows with a pair of kitchen scissors to give your scallops a slightly edgier edge. “Sear” the tops and edges with a lighter, blowtorch, or by using the flame from a gas stove (just stick the other end of your marshmallow with a metal fork or chopstick). Remember, this trick can also apply for when you simply crave a roasted marshmallow but don’t feel like building a fire.
• Cut 3 thin slices of kiwi. These will be cucumber garnishes.
• Place the marshmallows on top of each kiwi slice. Using a black gel icing pen, dot Beluga caviar pieces on the tops of each scallop.
• Melt and brown 2 tbsp of butter with 1 tbsp of sugar over medium heat. Drizzle the brown butter sauce over the seared scallops and serve!
Mmmmm…. so good! But not in the way your friends and family will expect. Tell me how it goes….
Until next time….